Expressions Of Hope and Wish

Expressions Of Hope and Wish

     Pengertian Expressing Wishes
Verb wish adalah kata kerja yang digunakan ketika seorang speaker menyatakan keinginkan atas realita yang berbeda. Wish termasuk dalam subjunctive.

Penggunaan dan Contoh Kalimat Expressing Wishes

Wish diikuti oleh simple past untuk menyatakan bahwa situasi yang diinginkan tidak mungkin terjadi pada saat ini (present), sedangkan wish diikuti past perfect untuk menyatakan tidak mungkin terjadi di masa lampau (past). Wish dapat pula diikuti past future (would/could+Verb1) untuk menyatakan keinginan seseorang untuk melakukan sesuatu secara berbeda. Beberapa contoh kalimatnya adalah sebagai berikut.
Contoh Kalimat Expressing wishesFakta
wish(es) + simple past
I wish she were here.
(Saya berharap dia disini.)
but she isn’t …
(Dia tidak disini.)
Wenny wishes Ari agreed with her opinion.
(Wenny berharap Ari setuju dengan  pendapatnya.)
but Ari doesn’t …
(Ari tidak setuju.)
Raisa wishes she could drive a car.
(Raisa berharap dia dapat menyetir mobil.)
but Raisa can’t …
(Raisa tidak dapat menyetir mobil.)
wish(es) + past perfect
Wira wishes he had finished the task before the deadline.
(Wira berharap dia telah menyelesaikan tugas tersebut sebelum tenggat waktu.)
but Wira didn’t …
(Wira tidak menyelesaikan tugas tersebut sebelum …)
My brother wishes he could have owned a house when he was twenty-five years old.
(Saudara saya berharap dia telah memiliki sebuah rumah ketika dia berumur dua puluh lima tahun.)
but my brother couldn’t …
(Saudara saya tidak memiliki rumah ketika …)
wish(es) + Future (would/could + verb1 atau was/were + present participle)
Defi wishes her friends would come to her house tomorrow.
(Defi berharap teman-temannya datang ke rumahnya besok.)
her friends might, but her friends might not come
(teman-temannya mungkin datang tapi mungkin tidak datang)
The government wishes people were stayingat home during the hurricane.
(Pemerintah berharap  orang-orang sedang tinggal di rumah selama badai.)
but people aren’t …
(orang-orang tidak sedang tinggal dirumah)

Perbedaan penjelasan dan cara menggunakan kata hope dan wish

A. HOPE
Perbedaan nya sangat jelas sekali bahwa hope atau harapan digunakan untuk membicarakan tentang kemungkinan situasi yang kita inginkan di masa lalu, masa sekarang atau pun masa depan. Yang paling penting dijadikan sebagai catatan adalah bahwa situasi ini “mungkin”.
Contoh :
  1. I hope you had a good attitude at the party last night.
  2. I haven’t looked outside yet. I hope it’s not raining.
  3. I hope you have a great day.
  4. I hope you’re not going to go to the supermarket without your mother.
  5. I hope my teacher will not angry with me.

B. WISH
Sedangkan wish  yang memiliki arti keinginan digunakan untuk membicarakan tentang situasi yang kita inginkan, tapi yang merupakan kebalikan dari realitas saat ini atau yang tidak mungkin.
 Ada beberapa cara menggunakan kata wish
  1. Kita dapat menggunakan kata wish + past tense untuk membicarakan situasi kita sekarang.
Catatan penting nya adalah, walaupun kita menggunakan simple past tense, kita tidak sedang membicarakan tentang masa lalu.
Contoh :
  1. I wish I had 3 houses. (In reality, I don’t have 3 houses now, but I want 3 houses).
Pada kenyataannya, saya tidak punya tiga rumah sekarang, tapi saya ingin tiga rumah.
  1. I wish I could play the guitar. (In reality, I can’t play the guitar, but I want to).
Pada kenyataannya, saya tidak bisa bermain gitar, tapi saya ingin menjadi bisa.
  1. Wish + past perfect tense. Form ini untuk membicarakan tentang penyesalan yang kita memiliki dari masa lalu.
Contoh :
  1. I wish I hadn’t gone to the party. (In reality, I went to the party, and now I regret it).
Pada kenyataannya, saya pergi ke pesta, dan sekarang saya menyesal.
  1. I wish I had eaten the spicy food. (In reality, I didn’t eat spicy food).
Pada kenyataannya, saya tidak makan makanan pedas, dan sekarang saya menyesal.
  1. Wish + would + verb. Digunakan untuk membicarakan tentang situasi yang sering terjadi dalam hidup kita bahwa kita tidak suka.
Contoh :
  1. I wish my husband would come back from America. (In reality, my husband never come back from America, and I don’t like it).
Pada kenyataannya, suami saya tidak pernah kembali pulang dari Amerika, dan saya tidak menyukainya.
  1. I wish my children wouldn’t play their music so loudly. (In reality, my children play their music very loudly, and I don’t like it).
Pada kenyataannya, anak-anak saya bermain musik sangat keras, dan saya tidak suka itu).
  1. Wish + noun. Digunakan untuk berbicara tentang hal-hal yang kita inginkan untuk orang lain.
Contoh :
  1. We wish you a merry Christmas. (The meaning is: We hope you have a merry Christmas).
Artinya : Kami harap kamu mengalami Natal yang menyenangkan.                                                                                              
  1. Wish me luck on my wedding. (The meaning is: Please hope that I have good luck on my wedding).
Artinya : Berharap bahwa saya beruntung pada acara pernikahan saya.
  1. Wish + the infinitive form of a verb. Dalam kasus ini, makna wish memiliki arti yang sama dengan want yang berarti INGIN, tetapi kata ini lebih formal.
Contoh :
  1. I wish to see your boss right away.
Aku ingin bertemu bos kamu segera.
  1. We don’t have a class available right now. Do you wish to wait?
Kami tidak memiliki kelas yang tersedia sekarang. Apakah kamu ingin menunggu?
Choose the following sentences which expression of Hope .....
a. I need a nice house
b. I would like to have a nice house
c. I wish I had a nice house
d. I like a nice house


2. Faiz   : What’s up? You look so sad.
Rizki : My brother got sick and he is still hospitalized
Faiz   : That’s too bad. I’m so sorry to hear that. How is he now?
Rizki : He is getting better now
Faiz   : Oh, ………….
Rizki : I hope so

The suitable expression to complete the dialogue above is……
a. I hope he will get well soon
b. I hope he looks so sad
c. I hope he is still hospitalized
d. I hope he gets sick

Complete the following dialogue to answer questions 3 and 4!
Gina: Hi, Jean. How are you doing?
Jean: Bad.
Gina: What's wrong?
Jean: My father got sick. He has to stay in the hospital for a few days to get medical care.
Gina: What happened to him?
Jean: He got cancer.
Gina: I'm sorry to hear that. But you still go to school?
 Jean: Yea, my mom told me that I have to go to school. She is in the hospital to accompany my dad.
Gina: I (3) …….. your dad will get better soon.
Jean: Yea, (4) ……

3. Gina: I …….. your dad will get better soon.
a. congratulate
b. talk
c. hope
d. try

4. Jean: Yea, ……
a. I doubt
b. I hope so
c. I don't think so
d. No comment
e.  
5. Look at the picture and choose the best wish..
*my friend is sick*
a. congratulation on your sickness
b. Get Well Soon, my friend
c. Why are you sick?
d. Don't be sick 
6. The following sentence are expression of congratulation, except ....
a. I congratulate you on your success
b. Nice work
c. How poor you are
d. That's great
7. Dika : I won the competition yesterday
Hendri : Really? That's very great. Please accept my warmest congratulations
Dika : .....
Hendri : You are welcome
a. Thanks for saying so
b. I hope you say so
c. Oh, don't mention it
d. That's very great
8. Diah : How was is your work?
Ana : I have finished my first novel
Diah : Wow...
Ana : Thank you
a. Well done! You did it
b. Thank you
c. I hope it's fine
d. Oh my God!
9. Dita : Congratulation on your achievement Dety
Dety : .....
a. Excellent
b. Good for you 
c. How nice of you to say so
d. nice job
10.               Look at the picture and choose the best wish ......
*My friend gratuated*
a. Have a great school day my friend
b. Have a nice trip!
c. Congratulation on your graduation. I happy for you
d. What a wonderful birthday

OFFERING

Hasil gambar untuk offering

11. A :Do you need any help. Ma’am?
B :Yes, please. I can’t find my glasses.
The underlined words express …
A.       Preference
B.       Accept help and assistance
C.      Accept apology
D.      Offer help and assistance
E.       Apology

12.       Marta : It’s very hot here……
Sinta : Sure. No problem
A.       Could you close the door?
B.       Would you mind if I turn on the fan?
C.      Would you turn off the fan?
D.      May I leave now?
E.       May you leave now?

13.       Toni : I’m going to a jazz concert. Do you fancy coming along?
Yunita   : ………..
A.       I don’t listen to jazz
B.       Never mind
C.      Sounds fantastic. That’s my type
D.      That’s incredible
E.       Sounds great, why not?
14.       Anida            : I heard that Iwan didn’t pass the test
Diandra        : That’s too bad. I’ve told him not to waste his time playing online game
It can be concluded from the dialogue that Diandra expresses her …
A.       Displeasure
B.       Happiness
C.      Satisfaction
D.      Doubt
E.       Advice

15.       Rani              : Finally, it’s break time ….a cup of coffee?
Yudi              : That’s very nice of you
A.       Shall I have
B.       May you get me
C.      May I offer some help to get
D.      May you help me get
E.       Would you like me to get you

16.       Dewi             : …..
Yuni              : I’d love to, but I’ve an appointment with a friend tomorrow
A.       I’ll go to the fine art exhibition
B.       The fine art exhibition is great
C.      How about going to the fine art exhibition tomorrow?
D.      I’ll be grateful if I go to the art exhibition
E.       Is there any more interested in seeing the art exhibition

17.       Doni : I’m thinking of asking you for dinner
Loi: I’m free but ….
A.       I’d like to come
B.       There aren’t many papers to do
C.      I’ll be there
D.      I’ll have an appointment at the same time
E.       You can invite others
18.       Student         : Is it okay to leave a bicycle in a hallway?
Teacher       : No, it isn’t. leave it over there, near the gate
The underlined utterance is used for …
A.       Offering help
B.       Expressing dislikes
C.      Introducing others
D.      Giving suggestion
E.       Making an offer

19.       Mum              : Don’t talk too much while you are eating. That’s impolite
Susan           : I am sorry, Mum
From the dialog above, the underlined sentence shows that Mum is ….
A.       Suggesting
B.       Discussing
C.      Requesting
D.      Accusing
E.       Complaining

20.    Bagas  : Shall we have a picnic to Watu Ulo this weekend?
Rini  : …….. I’m sure we’ll have some fun there
A.       Oh, I disagree
B.       I’m sorry, I can’t
C.      That’s good idea
D.      What a tiring journey
E.       Okay







Sumber;

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Present Continuous Tense

Present tense

Message a notice